Recipe by silky
You will not believe the sauce that results from this dish. Mashed potatoes are a must so you can puddle on the sauce and let it soak in.
Top Review by Grace Lynn
The only thing I did different was used drumsticks only...they were so tasty and fairly easy to make! The sauce tastes like something you get at a fine restaurant. Will definitely make this one again. Thank you!
- 4 even-sized chicken legs with thigh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Let the chicken legs sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the butter.
- When the butter melts, brown the chicken legs a few at a time over a medium-high heat until they are all browned.
- Remove them from the pan and sprinkle in the flour.
- Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes, then pour in the chicken stock, wine, garlic, shallot, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Madeira.
- Bring the liquids to a boil, then replace the chicken legs skin side down and cover the pan.
- Let the liquids return to the boil, then lower the heat and let the chicken simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the legs are cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken legs to a platter and cover with foil; keep warm.
- Let the sauce return to a rolling boil and let it bubble vigorously until it is reduced by half.
- Remove the bay leaf and spoon the sauce over the chicken legs.
- Serve at once.