Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from the Lobel Brothers. Serve with noodles. Cross-rib is recommended, but other cuts of beef can be used.
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 lbs beef, cut in 2-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup Burgundy wine, plus more if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bacon in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium-high heat until crisp and light brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Place beef in bacon fat and brown on all sides.
- Add onions and peppers and brown slightly.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little more wine if meat is becoming too dry.