Recipe by papergoddess
Julia Child's recipe for braised goose with cabbage. You can leave out the cabbage and just braise the goose if you like. Submitted in reply to a request.
- 9 -10 lbs roasting goose, cut up with skin removed
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup lean diced salt pork, blanched for 5 minutes (4 oz.)
- 5 -6 cups sliced onions
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine or 1 1⁄2 cups vermouth
- 2 cups goose stock or 2 cups beef bouillon (or more)
FOR THE CABBAGE
- 1 head cabbage (8 cups, sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup stock or 1⁄2 cup bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons rendered goose fat or 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Spread pieces of goose on wax paper, season with salt and pepper, and roll in flour.
- Shake off excess.
- Set large skillet over moderately high heat and film with fat or cooking oil.
- When very hot but not smoking, add as many pieces of goose as will fit into the pan easily.
- Brown on both sides Remove to a plate, and set aside.
- Brown salt pork lightly in a spoonful of fat, then add onions until tender.
- Transfer to casserole dish.
- Add goose, garlic, bay, caraway, thyme, and wine or vermouth, plus enough stock or bouillon to cover goose two-thirds Bring to a simmer on the stove, then cover tightly and transfer to oven.
- Simmer slowly in oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until tender.
- Turn and baste several times during this period.
- Prepare Cabbage.
- Shred cabbage into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place in a covered saucepan with the stock or bouillon, salt, pepper, and butter or fat.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and boil hard 5-6 minutes until barely tender.
- Uncover and set aside.
- Skim off any fat from surface of goose cooking liquid.
- Sauce should be slightly thickened.
- Arrange goose pieces over a bed of cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
- Toss cabbage with a few tablespoonsful of goose cooking liquid, then arrange cabbage around goose.
- Spoon a little sauce over each piece of goose.
- Serve the rest of the sauce in a separate bowl to pass.