2 hrs 30 mins
Leah in Bologna's Note:
I live in Bologna and this is the recipe from the Accademia italiana di cucina and by far the most authentic recipe around. Of course, in Bologna every mamma has her own adaptation. It's really wonderful, serve it with a wide egg pasta, tagliatelle is the traditional pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g ground cartella beef (near stomach) or 300 g normal ground beef
- 150 g pancetta (not smoked and not bacon!!)
- 50 g carrots
- 50 g celery
- 50 g onions
- 5 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup milk or 3/4 cup beef broth
- 400 g tagliatelle pasta noodles (egg pasta like fettucine)
- 1Mince pancetta very finely or better yet grind it in a food processor.
- 2Cook it on med heat in a small sauce pot (big enough for all the ingredients, don't burn it!
- 3Finely Mince vegetables or grind in food processor.
- 4Add vegetables to pan, and cook until onion is transparent. mix up a bit every once in a while.
- 5Add ground meat.
- 6When you hear the little popping noise of the beef cooking and it's a bit browned, add wine and tomato sauce lengthened with a bit of broth.
- 7as it cooks, add a bit of the milk every once in a while or broth if you choose to use broth.
- 8Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Cook covered on low heat for about 2 hours.
- 10Optional: add a bit of cream at the last moment.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ragù Alla Bolognese - the Authentic Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 546.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 133.9 mg
- Sodium 107.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: