Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I created this one evening when I was trying to create a dish made with barley that would appeal to everyone in the family. It is very simple and really does taste great. Barley is low on the glycemic index so it's a great dish for someone who is heath conscious. If you enjoy garlic flavour add a clove or two while the mushrooms saute, also red or green diced peppers would probably taste quite nice as well. If you are on a low fat diet you may replace the butter with olive oil and replace the cream with low fat milk or a creamy soy milk.
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely diced
- 6 large mushrooms, chopped in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- On medium heat, melt butter in a non stick pan, add mushrooms & onions saute until cooked.
- Mix boullion with hot water and add to pan.
- Add barley, cook stirring occasionally until broth has cooked down so only a very small amount of liquid remains in bottom of pan.
- Add cream continue cooking and stirring until most of the liquid has cooked down.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.