Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Gourmet magazine, 1995. My friend Martinique who is a caterer says this is a no-fail, impress-the-company recipe and it can be prepared in 45 minutes or less!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb, fine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 rack of lamb, frenched (7 or 8 ribs)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a small skillet heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook shallots with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated. Remove skillet from heat and stir in bread crumbs, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and arrange, ribs side down, in a small roasting pan. Spread meat side with mustard and pat on crumb mixture evenly. Roast lamb in middle of oven until a meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium-rare, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Slice lamb into chops.