1 hr 20 mins
This is a truly special dinner entree. A bit labor intensive to start off with, but once you have the glaze and cherry sauce done the rest of the preparation goes together like a dream, and the taste is out of this world. If you really have some special guests you want to impress, then this is the perfect choice. I accompany mine with sea salt roasted baby potatoes and green beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CHERRY REDUCTION SAUCE
- 2 cups merlot or 2 cups other red wine
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted (I have very successfully substituted bottled morello cherries)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cups lamb stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (750 ml) bottle merlot
- 1 1/2 cups good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1To prepare the sauce; combine the wine, cherries, garlic and shallot in a saucepan over high heat and reduce until the mixture is almost dry, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the stock, decrease the heat to medium, and reduce until the sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add the butter and stir until melted.
- 4Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- 6Preheat oven to 300*F.
- 7To prepare the glaze, combine the wine, vinegar, shallot and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat and reduce until about 1/2 cup liquid remains, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Set aside until you are ready to use it.
- 9To prepare the lamb, season the racks well with salt and pepper.
- 10Heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat until smoking hot.
- 11Add as many of the racks as will fit without overcrowding the pan, meat side down, and sear well, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a sheet pan.
- 12Continue searing the remaining racks.
- 13Baste the racks well with the glaze.
- 14Set the pan in the oven and roast, basting every 5 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 135*F for medium-rare doneness about 20 minutes.
- 15Remove the racks from the oven and let sit for about 5 minutes, then slice.
- 16To serve, place the slices on a warm serving platter and drizzle with some of the sauce.
- 17Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve warm, with any extra sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rack of Lamb With a Merlot Glaze and Cherry Reduction Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 24.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: