Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Cervena is a premium quality venison, naturally raised on the fresh, open pastures of New Zealand. Originally found at nzlamb.com which is the site for the New Zealand Lamb Cooperative. Posted for Zaar World 05
- 1 (1 1/4 lb) rack of cervena venison, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups total mixture of varietal mushrooms (morel, shiitake, champignons porcini)
- Tie rack between every second cutlet to help retain its shape.
- Roast mushrooms in butter or oil in hot oven until they are almost dry.
- Brush Cervena venison lightly with oil and sear quickly in pan or on grill to seal in natural juices.
- Dry off excess oil with a towel.
- When cooled, brush with mustard, which can be mixed with butter or oil for a smooth, even coating.
- Roll meat in herb and mushroom mixture, evenly coating all sides.
- Place in roasting pan. Cook in oven preheated to 400°F/200°C for approximately 12 minutes for rare meat or longer if desired.
- Remove, cover with foil and let stand 10–12 minutes to evenly disperse heat throughout the meat.
- If served rare, it should be a rose pink color when carved.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: I've never actually made this with the rack as called for but I thought I should leave it in the original version for posting. I have however made this with a venison roast and it come's out great. Roasts however, do take longer than the 12 minutes posted here.