Cook1 hr 30 mins
Black-eyed peas are a veggie/bean I don't use too much in my cooking and I'd like to use them more. Most recipes I've seen using them call for baking or frying up with ham or pork. This is simple, vegan, and has lots of flavor. Make sure that you are using dry black-eyed peas-- not canned. Better yet, you don't have to pre-soak these like you normally have to with dried beans. Variation hint: if you don't care much for the cilantro lime part, just nix them, add 1 tsp lemon juice instead. I also think this recipe would do great in a slow cooker like a Crockpot.
- In a small saucepan or frying pan, heat up the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until nice and brown.
- Wash the black-eyed peas and remove any stones, dirt, etc. Put them into a Dutch oven (although being ghetto, I use my hand-me-down lobster pot and it works just fine. Any large pot will do.).
- Add the browned onion, plus all the other ingredients listed. Mix well. Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the temperature to medium/medium-high. Cover the Dutch Oven or pot and let it all simmer for about 70-90 minutes or until the peas are nice and tender.
- Awesome side dish, or great when served over brown rice with some greens for a complete vegan meal!