Recipe by the80srule
A nice veggie and flavor loaded mac and cheese dish that doesn't require making a sauce! Cavatappi pasta does well with this too. Good way to get your kids to eat their veggies and a good one-dish meal for vegetarians.
- 1 cup macaroni (uncooked! To yield about 2 cups cooked macaroni)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1 cup half-and-half
VEGGIES N FIXINS
- 1 small tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped broccoli (about 8-10 broccoli florets)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (that liquidy stuff I like to use in place of cloves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, shredded (divided)
Directions See How It's Made
- Divide the cheese into 1.5 cup and 1/2 cup portions, divide the cilantro into 1 tbsp portions.
- Cook the macaroni al dente in salted water, and put into a mixing bowl.
- Mix all the veggies and fixings together in a small bowl, add to the macaroni.
- In a 1.5 quart casserole dish, layer the macaroni mix and 1.5 cups of cheese to the top. Pour in the half-and-half.
- Top with the remaining cheese and cilantro and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350°F.