1 hr 25 mins
I saw these frozen bags of pearl onions at Whole Foods, then the gears started to turn in my head, and I knew I had to make something with them. I originally wanted to use potatoes or matzo meal to go with the pearl onions but having just had a delicious kasha knish from Yonah Schimmel's I went into a bulk bin frenzy, bought some wonderful roasted kasha, I made a whole bunch after I went nuts in the kitchen, this was the result! I cooked my kasha ahead of time, but you can use it freshly hot if you're careful about mixing in the egg.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water, any kind of stock or broth will do)
- 1 cup roasted buckwheat groats
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 shakes smoked paprika
REST OF KUGEL
- 1Bring the broth or water to a boil and add a little salt and paprika. Sweet works great, I like smoked for that extra zing.
- 2Add the kasha, stir, and leave on high heat uncovered.
- 3Once the kasha expands and soaks up the liquid at the top (about 5 minutes) cover with lid and leave on low heat for another 12-15 minutes. Make sure all liquid has been absorbed at the bottom!
- 4Fluff with a fork and place into a mixing bowl. Or if making ahead of time, put into a container and refrigerate, then later put it in the mixing bowl.
- 5Empty the bag of frozen pearl onions into a small bowl, and rinse any freezer burn off them with warm water. Pat dry.
- 6Put the pearl onions into the mixing bowl of kasha.
- 7Using the same small, cold bowl from rinsing the frozen onions, beat the eggs with the oil and spices then mix into the large bowl. If you make and cool the kasha ahead of time, you don't need to mix them separately but I do this anyway to evenly coat the mixture-- as my grandpa used to say, "This knish filling is good but it needs more snot to hold it together!".
- 8Pour into a well-oiled 9.5" or 10" pie pan.
- 9Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350F, or until the top is nice and browned.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rachel's Pearl Onion and Kasha Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.5
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 622.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: