Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, onions, dried apricots and lots and lots of garlic.
- 10 -12 bulbs of garlic, all peeled (Yes, bulbs)
- 3 -4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 -4 lbs parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 -4 lbs fresh beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 white onions, peeled and chopped in chunks
- 2 -4 lbs dried apricots
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle olive oil
- sea salt, a lot of it
- fresh ground pepper, a lot of it
- smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Coat pan(s) with olive oil.
- If possible, put each vegetable in it's own roasting pan. I like to use 9x13 cake pans for this step. If not possible, make sure the beets don't touch the other vegetables or they will cause discoloration.
- Cover vegetables with garlic cloves and onions and pour olive oil generously over top. Coat with plenty of sea salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil, allowing for a small amount of venting for steam.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, combine all vegetables together in batches, coating with paprika generously and adding dried apricots as you go. The way I make them, there's no such thing as too much paprika.
- Vegetables should be all combined in one roasting pan at this point. Cover with foil, again allowing for venting. Place in oven and bake until done, usually around half an hour. If transporting after baking, be sure foil or pan cover allows for venting or the vegetables will be mushy.
- These taste even better the 2nd day.
- This recipe is a lot of work, but definitely worth it. My extended family and in-laws always insist on my making it for holiday get-togethers.