Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is a recipe that was recently sent to me, Rachel Ray's Pasta A La Vodka. It has been dubbed the Pasta of Love! Not something you want to cook frequently but a wonderful treat on occasion. To reduce the calories, use evaporated milk and skip the butter.
- 15 ml olive oil, extra-virgin
- 15 ml butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 250 ml vodka
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 792 ml tomatoes, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 500 g penne or 500 g fusilli
- 125 ml heavy cream
- 25 basil leaves, torn
- Place a large pot of salted water on high heat.
- While waiting for water to boil, place a large pan on medium heat. Add oil, butter, garlic and onions to pan and gently saute for about four minutes. Add vodka to the pan a simmer for about 3 minutes to reduce by half. Add tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked to al dente.
- Just before the pasta is cooked, stir cream into the sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves.
- Serve with a side salad or crusty bread.