Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this recipe, it is yummy! I've tweeked RR's original recipe to cut out some of the calories and fat, but it still tasts excellent!
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces whole wheat rotini
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, eyeball it
- Place a large pot of water on to boil for pasta. When it comes to a boil, salt it and add the pasta to cook to al dente. Strain pasta reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Defrost spinach in microwave 8 to 10 minutes on "defrost" setting depending on the microwave. Place the boxes in a shallow dish to catch any run off.
- In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and thicken 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup grated Parmigiano and reduce heat on lowest setting.
- Wring spinach completely dry in clean kitchen towel then separate as you add it to the sauce. Also add the reserved 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Toss pasta with the spinach-white sauce and adjust seasonings.