Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on the Rachel Ray website.
Make and share this Rachel Ray BLT-Style Carbonara Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large tomato (ripe heirloom or 4 plum or Roma tomatoes)
- 1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles (or other wide, long-cut pasta)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 lb bacon, chopped (lean, good quality or smoky speck or milder pancetta)
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick, washed and dried on clean towel
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small chili pepper (such as Fresno or Italian cherry chili pepper)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten (preferably organic)
- pecorino cheese (Lots of it, freshly grated)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Score an X into tomato skin, place in boiling water to a count of 30, then remove to a bowl of ice water with tongs or spider. Peel, seed and chop tomato and reserve.
- Salt boiling water and cook pasta to al dente. Heads up: you will need some starchy cooking water to temper the egg yolks, so reserve a cup or so before draining pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO. Add bacon, speck or pancetta, and cook until almost crisp. Add leeks, garlic and chili, stir a couple of minutes then add wine and reduce by half. Add parsley and tomatoes, and reduce heat to low.
- When pasta is about ready, add about 1/2 cup starchy water to the eggs while beating them with a fork to temper them. Toss pasta with bacon and eggs, turn off heat, then toss vigorously a full minute, using more starchy water if the pasta tightens up (the yolks should cover pasta smoothly).
- Serve with Pecorino at the table for passing.