Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here's another winner from Rachael Ray. How does she do it? A nice tossed salad, some warm from the oven sourdough bread and a glass of Merlot and you are on your way to heaven via the kitchen!(or the Food Network)LOL!
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 lb cooked chicken sausage
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (recommend San Marzano)
- fresh basil, shredded (about 10 leaves)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at the table
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil for pasta.
- When the water boils, salt it and cook pasta to al dente, with a bite to it.
- Prick sausages with a fork.
- Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add 1 inch of water.
- Add 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, (1 turn of the pan).
- Bring water to a boil then reduce heat a little.
- Allow all the liquid to cook away then brown and crisp the casings, 5 to 6 minute.
- Preheat the broiler.
- While pasta and sausage cook, heat a deep skillet over med. heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (2 turns of the pan).
- Add the peppers, onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- When the sausages are cooked through, slice them on an angle and add them to the peppers and onions.
- Cook together until peppers and onions are tender and sliced sausages are crisp at edges, then deglaze the pan with white wine or chicken stock.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring to a bubble, reduce heat to low.
- Drain the rigatoni and return it to warm pot.
- Add ricotta cheese, salt and pepper, parsley and basil and half of the Parmigiano, a couple of handfuls, stir to combine.
- To assemble the "fake bake," place half the sausage, peppers, onions and sauce in the bottom a baking dish.
- Top with all of the pasta and then the remaining sausages and sauce.
- Cover the top of the dish with the grated Parmigiano and place under broiler 2 minute to brown cheese and set the pasta.
This is a nice recipe, fairly easy to put together and full of good flavor. Thanks for posting.
This recipe is devine! Very simple and unbelievably delicious. I used two red peppers instead of one red and one cubanelle. The dish recieved rave reviews from my dinner guests!