Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper relish
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread (or marble rye)
- spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey pastrami, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- 4 dill pickles (or half-sour pickles)
- flavored gourmet chips (Terra Blue potato chips or Cape Cod Firecracker Barbecue chips)
- Combine the first 3 ingredients; set aside.
- Place 4 bread slices on a work surface; spread with mustard.
- Build sandwiches: layer on a couple of Swiss cheese slices, a pile of turkey pastrami, a mound of sauerkraut mixture, and more cheese.
- Spread tops with mustard and set into place.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add in a couple pats of butter.
- When the butter melts, add sandwiches (may have to do in batches); place a heavy pot lid or pot into the skillet to help press sandwiches as they grill.
- Grill sandwiches 3-4 minutes per side; serve with pickles and chips.