1/6 Photos of Rachael Ray's Steakhouse Shepherd's Pie - 30 Minute Meal
This from the Rachael Ray Show. This is a variation from the original as our family does not like bleu cheese. Otherwise it was the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (smoked or peppered)
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, quartered
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1Following the directions will allow everything to come together at the end.
- 2Place potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and bring up to a boil. Season water with salt and boil potatoes until tender, 12 to15 minutes.
- 3Heat a skillet with high sides over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil.
- 4Add bacon. Crisp bacon and remove to paper towel lined plate.
- 5Add sirloin to the pan and caramelize the meat, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 6Add in the mushrooms and onions and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- 7Then season with salt and pepper.
- 8While meat cooks heat a small sauce pot over medium heat and melt butter, whisk the flour into butter, cook 2 minutes then whisk beef stock into flour, add Worcestershire and season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste. Thicken 6 to 7 minutes.
- 9Turn on broiler and have top rack 6 inches away from broiler flame.
- 10Pour gravy over meat and cook until the gravy thickens.
- 11Put meat/mushroom/onion mixture into a 9 x 13 inch oven safe dish.
- 12Place drained potatoes back into the pot you cooked them in to dry them out a little. Mash potatoes with egg yolk and sour cream.
- 13Stir egg yolk into the potatoes.
- 14Stir Ranch Dressing into the potatoes.
- 15Stir shredded cheese into the potatoes.
- 16Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and spread across the top of the meat in an even layer.
- 17Garnish the potatoes with paprika.
- 18Place under broiler to crisp and brown the potatoes, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 19Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rachael Ray's Steakhouse Shepherd's Pie - 30 Minute Meal
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.3
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 112.7 mg
- Sodium 439.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 28.5 g