Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
found this on the food network!
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 1/3 handful
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, 2 handfuls
- 2 tablespoons currants, 1 handful
- 1 teaspoon lemons (from about 1/2 of the fruit) or 1 teaspoon orange zest (from about 1/2 of the fruit)
- 1 1⁄2 cups enriched white rice
- 2 blades fresh chives, chopped
- 1 (3 ounce) bag sliced almonds, lightly toasted or 3 ounces smoked almonds
- Bring water to a boil in a covered saucepan. Add butter, cumin, raisins, currants, zest, and rice. Stir the rice and return to a rolling boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add chives. Fluff rice with fork and transfer to a serving dish. Cover rice liberally with toasted sliced almonds or smoked almonds.
This was so delicious. I really liked the citrus touch from the lemon, and the bit of crunch provided by the almonds sprinkled on top. I didn't really detect any of the chives, so I will probably increase that a bit (or perhaps just use a slightly bolder spice) the next time I make this, but that's a matter of personal preference. It was a very nice side dish to our pork roast dinner. Thank you for sharing your recipe, linnis4_9149959. Made for Spring 2012 Pick-A-Chef.