Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals cookbook and loved it! I use sweet Maui onions, add grilled mushrooms and use Sara Lee's hoagie rolls for freshness. You can also substitute provolone cheese for Cheez Whiz instead.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- pepper or steak seasoning
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean beef tenderloin or 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 sandwich hoagie rolls, split lengthwise (I use Sara Lee)
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan.
- Add onions and season with salt and pepper or steak seasoning blend.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until onions are soft and caramel in color.
- Heat a heavy griddle pan over medium high to high heat.
- Wipe griddle with a drizzle of oil using a paper towel.
- Sear and cook thin sliced steaks until brown but not crisp, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Cook steaks in single layers in 2 batches and tenderize by cutting into meat with the side of your spatula while they cook.
- When the steaks are browned, just before you remove them from heat, sprinkle them with garlic salt and pepper.
- When all of the steaks are cooked, line each of your split rolls with 2 slices of provolone cheese.
- Pile 1/4 of your meat and onions on to the griddle and mix together with your spatula.
- Pile the meat and onions into rolls on top of the cheese.
- The heat from the meat and onions will melt the cheese.
- Repeat for remaining servings and serve.
Leave it to Rachael and Iron Woman. Great meal and Hubby friendly