Recipe by Scrapbook Lori
This recipe came from Rachael Ray magazine. It is so simple, and FABULOUS! The onions and bacon add wonderful flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Great recipe. Normally I use cottage cheese when the recipe asks for ricotta but I ended up buying some ricotta on sale for a treat/change. Tried this recipe & loved it, I will have to splurge more often. I cut back the pasta to 5 1/2 oz for 4 servings & adjusted the other ingredients accordingly. Quick, easy & tasty dish, thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb penne
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook penne to al dente in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Reserve 1 ladle of cooking water, then drain pasta and transfer to serving bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, fry bacon until crisp in a skillet, and transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Drain most of grease from skillet, leaving a small amount in skillet.
- Add onions and cook until golden.
- Stir onions and ricotta into pasta along with reserved pasta cooking water.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the pasta along with the basil.