Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from Rachael Ray magazine. It is so simple, and FABULOUS! The onions and bacon add wonderful flavor. Enjoy!
- 1 lb penne
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced
- 15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Cook penne to al dente in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Reserve 1 ladle of cooking water, then drain pasta and transfer to serving bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, fry bacon until crisp in a skillet, and transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Drain most of grease from skillet, leaving a small amount in skillet.
- Add onions and cook until golden.
- Stir onions and ricotta into pasta along with reserved pasta cooking water.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the pasta along with the basil.
Great recipe. Normally I use cottage cheese when the recipe asks for ricotta but I ended up buying some ricotta on sale for a treat/change. Tried this recipe & loved it, I will have to splurge more often. I cut back the pasta to 5 1/2 oz for 4 servings & adjusted the other ingredients accordingly. Quick, easy & tasty dish, thanks for sharing.