Recipe by Crystal B.
Sage and Pumpkin add the flavors of fall to this hearty pasta dish, which gets a kick from a dash of hot pepper sauce. I personally add browned sweet sausage to this.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 7 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to pass around the table
Directions See How It's Made
- bring large pot of water to boil. Salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
- while pasta is working, heat olive oil in medium skillet, about two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, pumpkin and cream. Add the hot sauce, cinnamon and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stire in the sage.
- Toss pasta with the sauce and pass the parmigiano Reggiano around the table.