Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw Rachel prepare this on 30 Minute Meals today and think it is a great way to use some of the basil growing in my garden. Looks yummy!
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins, diced into bite-sized pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, shredded store bought
- 1 cup celery, from the heart very thinly sliced (4 ribs)
- 1 -2 fresh bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 (10 -12 ounce) packagesfresh gnocchi
- Place a large pot of water on to boil for gnocchi.
- Heat a pot with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and lightly brown. Remove to a plate and add another tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter and heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, and bay leaf, season with salt and pepper. Soften 5 minutes, sprinkle in flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups stock, slide the chicken back into the pot and simmer to allow sauce to thicken.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup stock in food processor with basil, parsley, garlic, pine nuts and cheese, salt and pepper. Turn processor on and pour in the remaining few tablespoons oil.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat with the zest of 1 lemon.
- Salt cooking water and drop gnocchi in the water, cook until the gnocchi floats, drain and add to the lemon butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss the gnocchi 2 to 3 minutes in lemon butter until light golden at edges.
- Turn heat off chicken and stir in pesto sauce. Serve the chicken in shallow bowls and top with lemon butter dumplings.
This is the real review. I got lazy and used a 8 ounce jar of prepared pesto instead of making the pesto as posted. Otherwise, we stuck to the original recipe. We love the recipe, we love gnocchi in all forms. Easy and delicious.
Made this recipe last night and it was amazing! My whole family loved it although the kids were a little put off by the color once they tasted it they loved it. I made home made gnocchi bc I couldn't find it in my grocery store other than that I followed the recipe. You have to make this recipe you won't be disappointed!
This is absolutely delicious and makes enough for two meals for me and my husband. The only changes I made were to increase the amount of shredded carrot (I had a HUGE carrot and didn't want the rest to go to waste - it didn't harm the taste of the dish one bit!) and I also used commercially-prepared pesto since I had some in the fridge. My husband practically licked his plate clean! This one is definitely a keeper!