1/3 Photos of Rachael Ray's Hungarian Sausage and Lentil Stoup
Rhiannon Deux's Note:
From Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals, this is a great hearty meal - thicker than a soup, thinner than a stew. The ingredients are very flexible. Try sweet sausage instead of hot, split peas instead of lentils, or broccoli cuts, chard or kale instead of spinach. (In fact, the original recipe calls for kale or chard, but I can't get the computer to recognize the measurements for either!) The two pot method can be used to create a long-simmered taste in very little time, or you can just make it all in one pot and simmer a little longer. It also freezes beautifully. Serve with a hearty bread for a complete meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs bulk hot Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms, gills scraped out, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 large starchy potato, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or substitute a mix of 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika and 2 pinches cayenne pepper)
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, intact on stems
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can regular diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1In a medium sized pot, simmer lentils in chicken stock.
- 2In a second pot, sauté sausage in olive oil.
- 3Add garlic, onions and mushrooms to the sausage. Cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add carrots, lentils, potato, salt and pepper, bay leaf, paprika (or substitute mixture) and rosemary to sausage pot. Don't worry about the woody rosemary stems - the leaves will fall off as it cooks.
- 5Add tomatoes to sausage pot. Bring to a good rolling boil and boil for 15 minutes.
- 6Combine the two pots.
- 7Wilt the greens in and remove the rosemary stems. Let sit 5 minutes off the heat before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rachael Ray's Hungarian Sausage and Lentil Stoup
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 655.2
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.8 mg
- Sodium 1869.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: