Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderfully easy soup/chowder recipe from 30 minute meals
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 -5 ears corn (or 1 box frozen corn)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 lb small potato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, a couple of generous handfuls
- 2 -3 dashes hot sauce, to taste
- oyster crackers or white cheddar cheese popcorn, to pass at table
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add bacon to hot oil and cook until crisp at edges.
- Add onions and corn, zucchini and potatoes and bell pepper as you get them chopped.
- Also add to the soup pot the bay leaf, thyme sprigs, paprika, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables.
- Sprinkle flour into the pot, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and let it come up to a bubble and thicken up a bit.
- Then stir in cream, parsley and hot sauce, to taste, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve with crackers or popcorn to float on top.