Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These have become a family favorite; an easy side dish that is a quick, elegant addition to anything from the Easter spread to a weeknight meal.
- 2 -3 lbs green beans, trimmed and washed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam beans in an inch of water, covered, for 5 minutes, or until bright green and crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a skillet, melt butter in oil, add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or under onions are soft.
- Toss with green beans and season with salt and pepper to taste (I like using coarse Kosher salt).
Very nice way to spruce up the humble green bean! The sauteed onions really made a nice sauce for the beans. Easy to make too - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2012 event, recommended by LifeIsgood
I am crazy about this recipe. I just love when a simple recipe has a wow factor. This is going into my best of the best file. The green beans are delicious this way. Great for company! Made for the Pick a Chef event in the Contests and Events forum. Thank you. :)
Great recipe. Simple and yummy. I browned the onions. Thanks Shire Born :) Made for cookbook tag game