Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This aired on today's (9-12-11) show. It looked so good I had to whip some up for lunch and share it on this website. It was quick and easy to make. Don't let the amount of ingredients intimidate you.
- 1⁄2 lb deli ham, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 small sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons onions, grated
- black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, fresh grated to taste
- 4 slices thick bread, white or 4 slices brioche bread
- 16 thin asparagus spears
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 extra large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place ham in the bowl of a food processor with the mustard, Tabasco, paprika, parsley sprigs, grated onion and a few grinds of pepper. Process until very finely chopped and combined.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Thicken to coat spoon.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet and spread the deviled ham evenly over the slices. Top each with 4 asparagus spears then cover with béchamel sauce and some cheese. Transfer to oven and bake until golden.
- Cook eggs to your liking and top each sandwich with an egg. Serve with a few cornichons and extra mustard at the table.
Impressive brunch and like you said - quick and easy in spite of the ingredient list. This was a nice way to use up leftover frozen spiral ham; I used extra Tabasco and the homemade deviled ham is a great recipe in itself. I had to turn up the oven temperature to get it to brown, but otherwise perfect recipe.