Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great soup and easy, easy to make!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cream
- 6 cups grated good quality cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, a palm full
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 a palm full
- 4 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips (blue or corn)
- 2 cups store bought chunky salsa (any brand or variety)
- In a medium soup pot, melt butter.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peppers and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in stock slowly and stir in cream.
- Bring soup to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir in cheese and season the soup with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Let soup reduce 10 to 15 minutes over low heat then serve with crushed chips and dollops of salsa.
Very easy to make and had great flavor!