Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Saw Rachael Ray for 30 Minute Meals make these. I thought it would be something different for Christmas Eve dinner, since my DH loves them and I always refuse to make them. Not these...they are DELICIOUS! Even my two year old son loves them!
- 3 slices chopped bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small Brussels sprouts, trimmed but left whole
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Brown bacon.
- When crisp, remove bacon from pan and drain fat.
- Add the olive oil and shallots and saute 1-2 minutes.
- When shallots are tender, add brussels sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat until they are soft.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Top with bacon and serve.
This is pretty good, but I was hoping the bacon and onion flavors would be more well blended into the sprouts. I'm still also not partial to a boiled sprout. I thought I'd give it a shot, since I haven't had boiled sprouts since I was a kid and this looked like a really good recipe, but I still don't like them. If you like that, it's fine...but just not for me.
These were so delicious! I didn't think anybody was even going to touch them but they were all gone at the end of our Thanksgiving dinner & everybody was asking me for the recipe. Even my four year old niece loved them! I cooked them a little longer with the broth so they'd be more tender & they were perfect!
This was fantastic. I made it a couple of weeks ago for my picky hubby and I. Made it as recipe stated with shallots. Regular onions would have not been right I believe. For the broth I use granules I add to water instead of keeping the cans on hand. It's been much cheaper that way and handier. This recipe was so good my husband suprised me again today with a handfull of brussels sprouts from the grocery store and said "Please can you make them with dinner?" Thanks for posting, it is a keeper reicpe!