This recipe orginally came with Rachael's San Fran-Caesar Salad. Since I make my own croutons now, I think this is by far my favorite. I usually double or triple the recipe, adjusting the herbs and seasoning to taste. (I don't triple the black pepper but usually leave it at 1 teaspoon and use about 1 c. parmesan cheese.) I also use any kind of bread that I have available...even hotdog or hamburger buns.) Using herbs from my garden I will use fresh thyme, parsley, rosemary, red and sweet basil and chives, chopped fine (all together or whatever I have on hand.) I am typing her orginal recipe, so adjust to your own taste. My grandkids will eat these just as a snack...enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat garlic and oil over low heat and melt butter into the oil.
- Place the bread in a large bowl and toss with garlic oil and butter.
- Season with pepper, Parmesan and thyme.
- Spread croutons evenly on baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden. (15 - 25 minutes).