K. Van Vleck's Note:
One of my Rachael Ray faves! So yummy-spicy-good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 bay leaf, fresh if available
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 4 slices bacon, smoky thick center cut, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups lightly crushed corn tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded fresh smoked mozzarella cheese or 2 cups smoked sharp white cheddar cheese, 3/4 pound
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- freshly chopped cilantro leaf, for garnish
- 1Bring broth to a simmer and add chicken tenders, poach 6 to 7 minutes with a bay leaf.
- 2While chicken poaches, heat extra-virgin olive oil in a medium soup pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp then remove with slotted spoon. Drain off excess fat, leaving 2 to 3 tablespoons in the pan. Add onions and garlic to the skillet and cook 5 minutes then stir in chipotles and tomatoes.
- 3Remove chicken from stock, dice and then add to soup. Pass stock through a strainer then add to the soup.
- 4Place a pile of crushed tortilla chips in the bottom of each soup bowl. Cover liberally with smoked cheese then ladle the hot soup down over the top. Serve with lime, raw onions and cilantro at table to finish the soup.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rachael Ray - Chicken Tortilla Soup With Chipotle
Serving Size: 1 (646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.5
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 1202.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 46.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo