This looks just fantastic on TV that I am saving it here to try in the very near future! I'm guessing on the size of the bag of tortilla chips because it just said "1 bag" in the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a palm full
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, 5 to 6 sprigs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 16 ounces white corn tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese or 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 scallions, chopped
- fresh cilantro leaves or fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add chicken, begin to brown 4 minutes, add coriander, thyme, salt and pepper, to taste, onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and stock, heat through.
- While the soup is working, lightly crush some tortilla chips and divide among 4 bowls. You need a couple of handfuls per bowl. Top the chips with a little cheese. Toss the avocado with lime juice. Top the chips with ladles of soup. Garnish soup with avocado, scallions and cilantro or parsley.
I love chicken tortilla soups, and I'm always looking for different twists on it to spice things up. I had a package of fresh pre-cut fajita peppers and onions, so this recipe was a perfect fit. I added a little taco seasoning and some garlic powder and cumin to season the soup and a couple pinches of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. Don't substitute anything for the fire-roasted tomatoes! They make a huge difference! And don't skimp on the toppings! Cheddar cheese, green onion, avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips..yum! Delicious soup!
Warm, happy bowl of love. This recipe is amazing! It does make a whole lot though. :)