Recipe by Jenny Frenny
This is called "My Sister Maria's Easy Apple Cake". It is a quick and yummy cake for dessert. Good warm and topped with ice cream. It bakes in a 9x9 pan, so you do not have a ton of cake. Just enough for a nice weekday dessert. **Please note the size of the cake mix. It is a little box, I use the Jiffy cake mix. I have made this cake many times to take with a meal I have made for a friend that has been sick or had a baby.
- 1 (9 ounce) box yellow cake mix (Jiffy brand or similar)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large mcintosh apple
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pint ice cream, flavor of your choice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 9-inch square cake pan (can use a disposable foil cake pan) with 1 tbs butter.
- Prepare cake mix as described on cake box, with 1/2 cup water and the egg.
- Peel and dice apple into small bits. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and sugar and mix well.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan. Spread apples on top of cake batter, evenly covering the entire top of the cake. ( I tend to put a little more towards the edges so that when the cake rises in the oven the apples don't fall to the center of the cake.).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Best if served warm with ice cream. Very good at room temperature though.