Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is called "My Sister Maria's Easy Apple Cake". It is a quick and yummy cake for dessert. Good warm and topped with ice cream. It bakes in a 9x9 pan, so you do not have a ton of cake. Just enough for a nice weekday dessert. **Please note the size of the cake mix. It is a little box, I use the Jiffy cake mix. I have made this cake many times to take with a meal I have made for a friend that has been sick or had a baby.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 9-inch square cake pan (can use a disposable foil cake pan) with 1 tbs butter.
- Prepare cake mix as described on cake box, with 1/2 cup water and the egg.
- Peel and dice apple into small bits. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and sugar and mix well.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan. Spread apples on top of cake batter, evenly covering the entire top of the cake. ( I tend to put a little more towards the edges so that when the cake rises in the oven the apples don't fall to the center of the cake.).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Best if served warm with ice cream. Very good at room temperature though.
I doubled this recipe as I had a regular cake mix, and it turned out good, I used honey crisp apples...
Wonderful! I made it just as the recipe states and it"s warm and comforting. Great without the ice cream!
This was a FANTASTIC little recipe. I made it just to have a light dessert after our meal since it has been so bitter cold. It turned out to be a HUGE hit! I followed directions exacly, but used a granny smith apple as that was all I had on hand. My husband ate 3/4 of it himself! I was told to make a bigger one next time, so Duncan Hines here I come! LOL!! It is a great light dessert with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top oi it, easy and quick too!