Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is just a simple vegetable soup that I threw together on a crummy Sunday afternoon. Measurements are pretty lax, and there's plenty of potential here for it to be a different type of soup. I found myself eating it with a fork more often than not. Meat could be added to this recipe or a vegetable broth could be used to make it vegetarian.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large saucepan over medium heat; cover just until tiny bubbles begin to appear.
- While waiting, prepare the vegetables. Slice the carrots very thinly - using the slicer side of a cheese grater is helpful. Cut the cabbage in half; place the cabbage flat side down on a board and cut into slices about 1/4" thick. Cut the scallions into 1/3-inch long portions; chop the mushrooms into large uneven chunks.
- Add the carrots and green beans to the saucepan first and allow to simmer with the lid on for about five minutes.
- Add the cabbage and replace the lid for another five minutes, turning the heat to medium-low.
- Add the scallions, mushrooms, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Replace the lid for fifteen minutes to half an hour, depending on preference for the consistency of your vegetables. Serve hot, with cheese as a garnish or bread or crackers as an accompaniment.