Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from the Lobel Brothers. They call it a casserole; I don't. Prep time include marinating time. Serve with pasta.
- 1 rabbit, cut up
- 1 cup vinegar
- water, to cover
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup sherry wine
- Put rabbit and vinegar in a dish with enough water to cover.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or up to overnight.
- Discard water and vinegar, and dry rabbit pieces.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Place the garlic, scallions, green pepper and celery on top of the rabbit pieces.
- Sprinkle with basil.
- Cover and simmer for a few minutes.
- Combine tomato sauce and sherry.
- Add sherry mixture to pan.
- Cover and simmer for at least an hour.
- If sauce becomes too thick, add a little water.