Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 rabbit, dressed
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 2 cups water, cold
- 4 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Cut rabbit into serving pieces.
- Put into covered pan with salt pork (fatback) and 1-1/2 cups water.
- Boil slowly 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Drain, reserve broth.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine meat, broth, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, celery and onion in large covered pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook slowly for about 15- 21 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add seasonings and flour moistened with remaining 1/4 Cup cold water.
- Stir until broth thickens slightly.
- Suggestions: Try adding Blackeyed Peas instead of carrots.