A wonderful way to serve up rabbit! Cooking times may vary.
Make and share this Rabbit in Stilton-Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) rabbit, cut up
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh summer savory, leaves or of the dried herbs
- 2 bay leaves, fresh, crumbled or 2 dried bay leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese
- In a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, stir together oil, thyme, savory, and bay leaves.
- Add rabbit and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, stir mustard and water until smooth.
- Turn rabbit over, then spread top of meat with half of mustard mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn meat over and spread other side with remaining mustard mixture.
- Continue to bake, basting once or twice, until meat is no longer pink in thickest part (cut to test), 25 to 30 minutes more.
- Place rabbit on a platter and keep warm. Place pan over medium-high heat and boil, stirring, until juices are reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Add half and half, whisk until bubbling.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons cheese and whisk until melted.
- Pour sauce over rabbit; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Serve on warmed plates.