1/1 Photo of Rabbit in Mustard Sauce (Burgundy, France)
5 hrs 4 mins
1 hr 4 mins
This recipe was featured on week 41 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation (and a few sub-regions) on Earth, and Burgundy, France is my 41st stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter mixed with 1 tbsp flour
- 1Cut the rabbit up into six pieces and rub it all over with dijon mustard. Let marinade in the fridge, covered, for three or four hours.
- 2Fry the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned, then drain on paper towels. Pour off all but about a tablespoon of oil from the skillet, then add peanut oil and the rabbit pieces with the mustard.
- 3Saute for 10 minutes or until brown, turning once.
- 4Add the bacon, onion, herbs and white wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender.
- 5Add the half and half. Stir and cook for another five minutes. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Arrange the rabbit on a serving plate, leaving the sauce in the pot.
- 6If your sauce needs thickening, mix the flour with the softened butter and wisk inches Boil for one or two minutes or until thick. Serve the rabbit with the sauce spooned over.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rabbit in Mustard Sauce (Burgundy, France)
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.5
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 430.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 3.4 g