1 hr 10 mins
I had tried a few rabbit recipes but they just didn't seem to be able to hide that 'gamey' taste. So I came up with my own. Note* preparation time does not include soaking or marinating with mustard
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 rabbit joints
- 4 tablespoons French mustard (Dijon Mustard)
- 4 tablespoons seasoned flour, for coating (flour mixed with a pinch or two of salt and pepper)
- 60 g butter
- 60 g bacon, rind removed and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1The day before you intend to cook the meal, soak the rabbit pieces in lightly salted water for at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
- 2Remove them and dry them well with paper towel. Coat the joints on all sides with the mustard and leave covered in the fridge overnight.
- 3Coat the joints with the seasoned flour.
- 4Melt the butter in a casserole dish and brown the joints on all sides, then add the diced bacon, chopped onion and crushed garlic.
- 5Cover and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Then add the diced tomatoes, seasoning and stir.
- 7Transfer the casserole to a moderately slow oven (160°C) and cook for another 45 minutes.
- 8You may want to top it up with water, stock or red wine.
- 9Serve this with white rice or baked potatoes. A garnish of finely chopped parsley looks good too.
- 11This casserole can be cooked on a campfire in a heavy based casserole dish with a lid.
- 12After adding the diced tomatoes, move the casserole dish to a cooler part of the campfire and simmer very gently, again you may want to top it up with water, stock or red wine. Test whether the rabbit is tender with a skewer after 45 minutes, though it may take a little longer.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rabbit in Mediterranean Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.5
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 427.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: