1/2 Photos of Rabbit Hunter’s Style
5 hrs 30 mins
Serve over rice or with steamed new potatoes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) rabbit, cut into 8 pieces, rinsed, and patted dry
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1Season the rabbit liberally with salt and pepper; in a large skillet, cook the bacon over med-high heat until crisp.
- 2Transfer to paper towels to drain; crumble and set aside.
- 3Add the rabbit to the hot bacon fat and brown on all sides.
- 4Transfer to a slow cooker.
- 5Add shallots and garlic to the skillet; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle with the flour, then add the wine; cook, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan.
- 7Add in the tomato sauce, water, thyme, and basil; bring to a boil.
- 8Pour over the rabbit; cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- 9Add mushrooms to the slow cooker; cover and continue cooking on HIGH 1 ½-3 hours, until the rabbit is very tender and falling off the bone.
- 10Taste and adjust seasonings to taste; serve garnished with parsley and crumbled bacon.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rabbit Hunter’s Style
Serving Size: 1 (619 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1141.7
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 354.0 mg
- Sodium 1225.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 124.4 g