From Dom Deluise. We like it with pasta, but it can be served over rice, or even by itself. I usually don't add sugar, so I've made it optional.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 -10 mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 (3 -4 lb) rabbit, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in skillet.
- Add garlic, onions and carrots, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 1 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, wine oregano, sugar, water and pepper.
- Heat through.
- In a separate skillet, heat butter and remaining oil.
- Add rabbit and brown on both sides.
- Add rabbit to sauce mixture.
- Cover and simmer until rabbit is tender, about 35 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes more.