Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rabbit can be dry some times so here it is cooked with belly pork and cyder to create a warming substantial casserole. Reheates well. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 lb rabbit
- 1 lb pork belly
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 large onions
- 3 large carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle cider
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- Clean and slice the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron casserole or other suitable pot placed on the hob.
- Cut the meat into bite sized pieces as you like.
- Dust the meat with flour, shake of excess and brown the meat in batches in the hot oil. when each batch has been browned remove to a plate with a slotted spoon, continue until all the meat has been browned and removed from the pot.
- To the pot add the sliced vegetables, the herbs (chopped) and the cider and stir. Then add the meat and add enough water so that the contents are almost covered.
- Stir well, bring to a simmer, cover and transfer to the oven.
- Cook in the oven for 2 and a half to three hours.
- Check seasonings and serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.