Recipe by evelyn/athens
Not much fuss to this recipe - it's a classic - and probably THE all-time comfort food, at least for Canadians. Worth trying - forget about the cholesterol. Live a little! (please note in the calorie count for this recipe, the oil used to fry the potatoes in has also been included - obviously, you are NOT consuming a quart of oil!)
- 1 quart vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) canrich beef gravy
- 5 medium potatoes, scrubbed, skin left on, cut into fries
- 2 cups fresh cheese curds (cheddar cheese curds are yummy, but fresh mozz works great, too)
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365°F (185°C). While the oil is heating, you can begin to warm your gravy.
- Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 8-10 minutes. Make the fries in batches if necessary to allow them room to move a little in the oil. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place the fries on a serving platter or into individual bowls. Sprinkle lightly with some kosher salt. Sprinkle the cheese over them. Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.