Recipe by KitchenHacker
Another of my Cuban favorites for a Sunday dinner.. I make this in a pressure cooker but it could easily be done in a regular Dutch Oven. Just adjust time and temperture to suit..
- 4 lbs rump roast, closely trimmed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, coarse chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Hunts)
- 2 cups beef broth, strained from meat
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup white zinfandel wine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Close trim fat from roast and rub all over with garlic powder.
- In pressure cooker pot, add oil and brown roast on all sides.
- While browning roast add onions and saute with roast.
- When done, add water, close lid and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes or until roast is done through.
- Release steam and remove roast and set aside.
- Strain 2 cups of broth from pot and set aside.
- In a 4-5 qt pot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, and green pepper and saute until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, 2 cups of strained beef broth from meat, 2 beef bouillon cubes, wine, spices.
- Mix thoroughly and cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes longer.
- Slice roast and add back into sauce, cover and cook 20 minutes longer.
- Remove all and serve with white rice and black beans.