Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe my mother used to make for us kids when we were growing up. It is moist, not to heavy and with the topping just right for a little bit of sweetness. If you are a chocolate lover try adding 6oz of chocolate chips after all ingredients are added together. For this recipe you start in cold oven so do not preheat your oven
- Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add egg, beat until smooth.
- Add, alternately, milk and flour, beat after each addition till smooth.
- Pour into greased and floured cake pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN. Place pan in cold oven, and bake at 350 for 45-50 minute.
Just what it says. A very simple, very good coffee cake. I made this for Freezer Tag 2008 and it will freeze well after baking if you wrap it very securely and thaw it in the wrapping so it doesn't dry out. Having said that, it makes up quickly and starts with a cold overn, so the only reason I might freeze it is if I had leftovers. The amount of sugar and cinnamon you sprinkleit with is not listed, but I always err on the side of "extra". Start with 1/4 cup of sugar with 1 T of cinnamon, and go up from there, depending on how sweet you like it.