Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces (can be combo breast-thighs)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped into big pieces
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped into big pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped into big pieces
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄4 cups biscuit mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided (or scallions)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 -3 scallions, sliced thin on the bias
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place a heavy-bottomed sauce pot or a Dutch oven over med-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crispy and golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine the flour and poultry seasoning and sprinkle it over the meat, tossing it lightly to coat.
- Remove the crisp bacon from the pan and reserve it on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In two batches, cook the seasoned chicken in the same pan, adding 1 tablespoon oil to the pot, with each batch.
- Cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the browned chicken from the pot and reserve it on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot and toss in the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Season the veggies with salt and pepper and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, combine the biscuit mix, milk, 2 tablespoons of the chives, the smoked paprika, and reserved crisped bacon in a medium mixing bowl.
- Drop 8 biscuits onto a nonstick or lightly greased baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- When the biscuits are done, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet.
- Once the veggies are softened, add the hot sauce, chicken stock, stewed tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and bring up to a bubble.
- Add the reserved chicken, the butter beans, and corn to the pot, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the stew is slightly thickened, 5-8 minutes; discard bay leaf.
- Serve the stew topped with the remaining chives and with the sliced scallions, and pass the biscuits.