Recipe by Chef Cindee, CA
I developed this recipe to use ground turkey, which I love. It lends itself very well to OAMC & is kid-friendly. Great for potlucks or to take to a family when Mom is ill or new baby at home.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
I find it hard to believe that this has never had a review till now. I think it's a fantastic dish, and do agree that it is a meal that you could freeze for later. I made it to the recipe and wouldn't change a thing very nice indeed, and we loved it. Thank's for posting it. Made for PAC Spring 2010
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons turkey base (Penzey's) or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 cup peas
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes until fork tender. Drain & pour back into hot pot. Add cream cheese, butter, milk & salt & mash well until potatoes are fluffy. Cover pot & keep potatoes warm.
- Meanwhile, while potatoes are cooking, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery & carrot & cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften. Crumble ground turkey over vegetables & cook until meat loses it's pink color.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked turkey & stir to combine. Dissolve turkey base in the boiling water & stir into meat. Simmer, stirring, about five minutes, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Pour meat filling into a 2-3 quart casserole & sprinkle peas over. Carefully spread warm mashed potatoes over filling, sealing potatoes to edge of dish.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, until heated through & bubbly at edge of dish. Remove from oven & sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes, just until cheese melts.