Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "Extreme Lo-Carb Meals on the Go", Sharron Long. I love this book and the recipes are practical, creative and real. The author writes that pork is the preferred preparation, but any cut of meat can be used. In my scale of 1 to 5, this is a 6+! This is excellent in low-carb taco shells or tortillas for enchiladas. The author even recommends it in a bowl, topped with sour cream.
- 4 lbs boneless pork (or 6 lbs bone-in meat)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili oil (12 drops)
- Cut meat in pieces.
- Place all ingredients except the lime juice & Hot chili oil into a large pot with a lid.
- Bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat so it is just bubbling.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- be sure meat remains completely covered in broth for the entire cooking time, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Cook, covered until the meat begins to fall off the bones, about 1 1/2 hours for chicken and up to 4 hours for beef. Toward the end of cooking time, add the lime juice & hot chili oil.
- Transfer pot to the refrigerator & allow it to cool until the fat rises to the top & becomes a hard layer (usually takes over night).
- Remove the fat and place the pot on the stove top;.
- warm until the meat is workable.
- Remove the bones & other inedible parts & shred the meat, returning it to the broth so it will stay moist.