Recipe by JWS
this recipe came from "Extreme Lo-Carb Meals on the Go",by Sharron Long. Her whole cookbook is amazing, different and delicious! Instead of boneless pork use 6 lbs bone-in meat (pork, chicken or turkey) The author recommends pork - so do I. (I used a 4lb pork loin - not much fat or debris)
- 4 lbs pork, boneless
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- 12 drops hot chili oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the meat into pieces that will easily fit into the pot. Place all ingredients except the lime juice and hot chili oil into a large pot with a lid. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat so it is just bubbling. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Be sure the meat remains completely covered in broth for the entire cooking time, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Cook, covered until the meat begins to fall off the bones, about 1 1/2 hours for chicken and up to 4 hours for beef. Toward the end of the cooking time, add the lime juice and hot chili oil.
- Transfer the pot to the refrigerator and allow it to cool until the fat rises to the top of the broth and becomes a hard layer. Remove the fat and place the pot on the stove top; warm until the meat is workable. Remove the bones and other inedible parts & shred the meat, returning it to the broth so that is will stay moist.
- Great for enchiladas, tacos or even sandwiches.