Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From executive chef John Greeley of the 21 Club, Manhattan. (As published in my local news paper).
- 1 lb fresh bacon, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pint about 2 dozen cleaned shucked, coarsely chopped chowder clam (and their juice)
- 1 (10 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 2 quarts water
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 pound) or 2 idaho potatoes, cleaned, peeled and diced (about 1 pound)
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- freshly grated horseradish, for garnish
- In a heavy bottomed soup pot, cook bacon until fat begins to render.
- Add diced vegetables and saute until wilted.
- Add oregano, bay leaves, garlic and cayenne.
- Stir in clams and their juices, continuing to saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and water, bring all to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground pepper if necessary.
- Serve hot with freshly grated horseradish as a garnish.